Home - It Helped Us Understand Money, Clean, and Save.

Torn Money - What is it worth

If you have paper US Currency that is in bad shape, including partial bills, you may be able to have the bills replaced.

If the bill is merely worn, or if significant parts of the bill are intacts (by some accounts, 3/5ths, others say 3/4s, and some even say simply more than half, take the bill to a bank and ask to have it exchanged. Depending on the condition of the bill they may exchange it on the spot.

If the bill is so worn that its authenticity can not be determined at the bank, or if you have less of the bill than the threshold set by the bank, then the bills can be sent to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for replacement. More information can be found on the website of the bureau.